Athletics NSW provides the following statement regarding the Fastrack400 program:
Athletics NSW, Athletics Australia and Mr. Mike Hurst have been working over the past 3 months to plan the delivery of the 2019/2020 Fastrack400 program.
The Fastrack400 has been a program supported by NSWIS and then ANSW over the past 8 years, as a 400m development program targeting the growth of 400m athletes in NSW. The Fastrack400 program was developed to foster NSW based athletes showing potential in the 400m distance, via an athlete and coach partnership, education and the sharing of best practice training skills.
The primary purpose of the 2019/2020 Fastrack400 program was to:
- Act as an early identification element of Athletics Australia’s High Performance Department.
- Encourage talented young athletes in NSW through their participation in a state level program
- Create meaningful contacts between young athletes, local coaches, Fastrack400 Coaching staff, ANSW and AA
- Provide a development pathway to the Athletics Australia goal of having strong Australian team representation in the relays at the 2024 Olympics.
- To create a pool of identified athletes who have or show the potential to specialise in the 400m discipline.
- Motivate and improve athletes through coach led training and education squad sessions
Athletics NSW and Athletics Australia were committed to deliver the Fastrack400 program in 2019/2020 with Mr Mike Hurst as the lead Coach. The 2019/2020 program was fully funded by ANSW and AA and a draft Coaches agreement forwarded to Mr. Hurst. (The draft agreement followed the principles of the Targeted Talent Program 2019 – which is currently in the 2019 delivery phase).
It is with great disappointment that Mr. Hurst has advised ANSW and AA and his Fastrack400 followers, that his association with the Fastrack400 program will no longer continue.
We thank Mr. Hurst for his invaluable dedication to the Fastrack400 program over many years and his commitment to our sport. We wish Mr. Hurst every success with his future coaching endeavors.
Athletics NSW and Athletics Australia will work collaboratively to ensure Athletics NSW pathways programs deliver on the Athletics Australia and ANSW Pathways Strategies.