The NSW Summer Series is an exciting new initiative to commence in late September 2016. The Series includes championships level track and field meets, grass roots track and field meets, and a number of out of stadia events. Many of the events are to be delivered by Athletics NSW member clubs and supported by Athletics NSW. The vision for the Summer Series is to:
- Provide meaningful competition for athletes across all event groups;
- Make access to ANSW Summer Series events easier for Little Athletics members as well as for people who might want to try athletics for the first time;
- Ensure that there is a strong inter Club competition program;
- Build capabilities within our Member Clubs; and
- Provide alternative event opportunities with an increased emphasis on participant enjoyment.
Within the Summer Series there are a number of opportunities for athletes with a variety of motivations. Athletes searching for high quality track and field meets have the ability to compete at State Championships, Treloar Shield, All-comers and other meets with AA permit status (AA permit status enables athletes to qualify for national and International competitions). There are also a number of grass root level track and field competitions. These more relaxed/casual competitions may be more appealing to athletes in the area and first time participants. In addition there are a number of alternate competition offerings with more of an emphasis on fun which may hold more appeal to the general community. These alternative events include Beachletics, Bowral Mile, Grass Games and Hangover Handicap Cross Country.
To view and download the full Summer Series calendar click here (updated 26.08.16). Please note that this calendar is not a final document as additional competitions may be added.
Treloar Shield & All-comers
The Treloar Shield will be included in the Summer Series. The format and competition offering has however changed for 2016. Key changes include:
- 5 full rounds of Treloar Shield instead of 8
- In addition to the 5 rounds of the Treloar Shield, Treloar Shield scoring events are included in some All-comer track and field meets
- Each Treloar Shield scoring event will be offered 3 times in total throughout the Summer Series
- All track events will be open seeded races
- Athlete performances to be grouped in age categories for point scoring purposes
To view the Treloar Shield and All-comers rules click here.
To view the Treloar Shield and Age Pennant scoring format click here.
Competition Event Grid
The competition event grid outlines what events are to be offered in each of the competitions with AA permit status (excluding All Schools, State Relays & Club Champs). Click here to view. Please note that events highlighted yellow are Treloar Shield point scoring events.
Fur further information regarding the Summer Series please view the FAQs here.
If you or your club is interested in hosting an event as part of the Summer Series please contact the ANSW Competition Manager Brent Hayward at email@example.com or 02 9746 1122.
To assist clubs, ANSW has created a guide on how to coordinate a successful track and field meet. The guide is intended as a reference with clubs retaining creative control of a process that best suits the organisers. Click here to view the Competition Guide.